Bahraini King Excluded from Qatar Dispute Talks: No Western Official Visited or Contacted Hamad bin Isa!
2017-07-10 - 3:27 p
Bahrain Mirror (Exclusive): Although Bahrain issued the first statement announcing the severing of ties with Qatar (June 5, 2017), the island kingdom remained excluded from the deliberations regarding the Qatar crisis, as everyone knows that its position is definitely a "given".
The ruling family in Bahrain has no say with regards to foreign policy. It is largely subject to Saudi Arabia's decision, which supported the Al Khalifa family in the face of a mass popular uprising that sought to put an end to its monopoly over power.
On the second day after the three Gulf states, Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Bahrain along with Egypt cut relations with Qatar, the Emir of Kuwait began a tour with the Gulf parties involved to settle the dispute; however, Bahrain was excluded.
Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah met with the Saudi King Salman bin Abdul Aziz, before he met with the ruler of the emirate Mohammed bin Rashid in Dubai and Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, Mohammed bin Zayed, and then concluded his round of visits in Qatar.
A day after Al-Sabah returned to Kuwait, the King of Bahrain, Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa, left for Saudi Arabia, where he met with the Saudi monarch and thanked him for the Saudi support that his country enjoys. Hamad bin Isa was informed about the results of the Emir of Kuwait's visit before heading to Egypt to meet with Sisi.
The Kuwaiti talks and communications made by Western officials continued to defuse the situation. It was noticeable that none of the mediators was directly contacting Bahrain.
Earlier this month, the White House said the US President Donald Trump had made separate phone calls to the Saudi, Emirati and Qatari leaders to discuss his "concerns about the current row" between Qatar and its Arab and Gulf neighbors.
Trump spoke to the Saudi King Salman bin Abdul Aziz, Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Shaikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Emir of Qatar Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani and later contacted Abdul Fattah Al-Sisi.
On the day following Trump's phone calls, German Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel began a Gulf tour to discuss the crisis. He traveled between Jeddah, Abu Dhabi and Doha, and like other senior officials, Gabriel does not think that the King of Bahrain could resolve a problem or have a solution.
The German FM left the region, so now it was his British counterpart Boris Johnson's turn. On Friday, he met with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and UAE CP Mohammed bin Zayed, while on Saturday he met with his Kuwaiti counterpart Sabah Al-Khaled and concluded his tour by meeting Qatar's Emir Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani.
As for US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson will arrive in Kuwait on Monday to discuss the Gulf crisis. The US State Department said he would meet with Gulf officials there before heading to Gulf capitals.
It is not known whether the US Secretary of State will be interested in listening to the King of Bahrain's opinion concerning the crisis, or will be among the other officials who believe that Hamad bin Isa does not have any say on the issue.
comments powered by Disqus